Choosing a REALTOR®
Choosing the right Realtor can make all the difference. A good agent will prepare, present, price, and market your home well, giving you the chance at a 'bidding war' or a quick sale for top dollar, putting more money in your pocket at the end of the day than if you sold it yourself, covering the commission, and without all the headaches or legal concerns. Please Contact Us if you have any questions or comments.
Here are some things to think about when considering a REALTOR®:
- Do they seem knowledgeable & competent to you? How long have they been an agent? Are they full-time or part-time?
- Do they have a Listing Package which clearly explains all their services and marketing plans? Not all Realtors are the same.
- Do they offer a free pre-listing home inspection by a reputable home inspector?
- Should your home need any repairs before listing it, do they have relationships in place to get you discounted rates with contractors, painters, electricians, plumbers, roofers, etc?
- Should your home need any updating/upgrading before listing it, do they have the ability to get you commercial discounts on products like flooring, kitchens, paint, furniture, window coverings, appliances, etc?
- Are they a certified home stager, or will they enlist the help of one? If so, is it free?
- Do they have an inventory of home furnishings to use for staging? If so, is it free?
- Do they hire a professional photographer to photograph your home? If so, is there any extra fee for this?
- Did their market evaluation appear thorough? Were the comparable properties similar enough to your home to adequately gauge your home's market value?
- Do you agree with the price they're advising? Does it appear as though they're trying to 'buy your listing' by giving you a price too high, or only after a quick/easy sale by giving you a price too low?
- Will they advertise your home in the real estate magazines? Which ones? Are there extra fees for this?
- Do they effectively utilize social media (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest)? Do they actually do paid advertising campaigns, or simply post your listings for a few friends/followers to see?
- Do they submit your listing to online classified websites such as Kijiji?
- Do they utilize Google AdWords to further market your home around the Internet, or ensure it appears at the top of search results?
- Will they do open houses? How often?
- Are they backed by a large brokerage with local and national reach?
- Do they offer any incentives to potential buyers trying to decide between your home and another, such as a free home inspection or satisfaction guarantee?
- Do they charge any additional 'a la carte' fees?
- Do they let you choose the commission to offer buyer agents?
- Do they offer a discounted commission should they 'double-end' your home (represent you and the buyer)?
- If you're also buying a home, do they offer a discounted listing commission?
- If you're not happy with their services, what type of cancellation policy do they have?